Custom Gems & Accessories
Is there a minimum requirement for booking a party?
- There is a 2-hour minimum booking requirement for all events. Additional time may be available if your event is scheduled to last longer than two hours. Additional time must be booked in advance of the event date to allow the artist to arrive at their next event on time. If additional time is available following your event, the artist can let you know upon arrival.
Do I book an artist based on the number of hours or the number of people at my event?
- Artists are booked per-hour rather than per-person. This enables us to offer a broader selections of designs and services to your guests without complicated record keeping. If you are unsure how long to book the artist, please contact us for more information.
What areas do you serve?
Children and adults like to get in on the fun.
Emoticons carries General Liability Insurance.
I want to offer something special at my event. Can I have custom designs created just for my event?
How do I prepare a space for the artist?
- Emoticons artists require a work space that is at least 6 feet long by 4 feet deep. This size space is meant to accommodate a 6-foot table to hold the artists supplies and tools and an artist’s chair. If your venue is limited on space, please contact us to discuss an alternative setup prior to booking your event.
- If your event is planned for outdoors, Emoticons can supply a 10’ x 10’ canopy for the workspace. Details of the available space and location will be required during booking.
Is there anyone you cannot paint/tattoo?
- Emoticons artists cannot work on models younger than two years. This is for the safety and enjoyment of our customers and to comply with the requirements of our insurance carrier. Emoticons artists also cannot/will not work on models who are obviously sick, have open wounds, are unable to sit still, or cannot behave appropriately. Decisions as to who can or cannot be painted/tattooed are at the discretion of the artist.
How many people can be painted in one hour?
- Artists can paint an average of 10-12 full-face designs per hour. Smaller designs are sometimes faster, but the level of detail can affect speed. Please keep this in mind when deciding how long to book the artist.
Children under 2 years of age cannot be painted.
- Face and body paint is a highly pigmented cosmetic. Children under two years of age often have more sensitive skin than an older child or adult. Therefore, Emoticons Face and Body Art cannot paint models who are under two years of age.
How do I remove face paint?
- Face and body paint should be removed before going to bed. Under most circumstances, it can be removed using a mild soap, skin cleanser, or makeup remover. Certain colors may leave residual pigment on the skin for up to 24 hours after washing.
I am allergic to some cosmetics. Can I still be painted?
- Although rare, an adverse or allergic reaction to the paint, body glue or other accessories can happen. If you have a known sensitivity to cosmetics, please ask for a patch test at least one hour prior to being painted. Contact us immediately if you experience any unexpected symptoms following removal of your body art.
How do you charge for body painting?
- Custom costumes/cosplay or other similar applications may require application of paint to various parts of the body. Because of the diverse nature of these costumes, body painting is booked and charged in 15-minute blocks. Rates vary depending on the complexity and duration of the project. If you would like an estimate, please contact us with the specifics of your project.
Are models completely nude?
- Body painting can involve nudity, but there are several options for models who wish to remain clothed. Ultimately, body painting should be an enjoyable experience for both the model and the artist. A suitable comfort level will be established during your consultation.
How many tattoos can be applied in one hour?
- Artists can apply an average of 15 tattoos per hour depending on size and complexity of design.
How do temporary tattoos adhere to the skin?
- Most temporary tattoos are applied to the skin using a cosmetic-grade body glue similar to eyelash glue. This adhesive is applied to the skin, allowed to dry, and then covered with glitter, gold or silver powder. Black ink tattoos are applied as a thin layer of tattoo gel and allowed to dry. Transfer tattoo art is applied by wetting the transfer image to activate the skin-safe adhesive attached.
How do I remove my temporary tattoo?
- Temporary tattoos can be removed by applying a generous layer of baby oil or skin lotion to the area. Allowing the oil or lotion to set for 5 to 10 minutes, and the tattoo should easily wipe away from the skin.
How long will a temporary tattoo last?
- Temporary tattoos will last an average of 3 to 5 days with proper care. However, there are a number of factors which can affect the duration of your design. Your tattoo may not last as long if you: have oily skin, cover the tattoo with clothing, have the tattoo applied in a high-friction location (such as the back of the hand) or if you scratch or pick at the design. Ask the artist for tips to help your temporary art last as long as possible.
- Silver and gold powder tattoos have a tendency to oxidize and darken within 24-48 hours. Chemicals such as chlorine can speed up this process.
Custom tattoo stencils are available.
- If you would like to have your company, school sports team or organization’s logo converted to a temporary tattoo stencil for your event, please contact us for more information. Designs must be approved before purchase. Manufacturing can take up to 4 weeks.
Custom Gems & Accessories
How are your custom gems made?
- Our custom gems are hand-made made using a variety of techniques and materials. The most common involves mounting synthetic gems on a base of silicone and allowing it to cure. This process takes approximately 24 hours, but when completed, the silicone is inert and poses minimal risk of skin reaction. The gems and accessories are 100% latex-free. Materials used may include cardboard, glitter, paint, fabric, or similar materials. Ask the artist before having an accessory applied if you have any concerns.
How are gems and accessories applied to the skin?
- Gems and accessories are applied to the skin using a cosmetic-grade skin glue similar to eyelash glue. Certain factors such as humidity and activity level can affect how long the gems and accessories adhere to the skin.
How long will gems and accessories last?
- Many people like to keep their gems and accessories as a memento of their body are experience, but some of the accessories can be very delicate. There is no guarantee for how long a particular accessory will last. Its durability will depend on the intricacy of the accessory and the conditions under which it is worn. For example, extreme humidity or sweating can deactivate the adhesive and cause the accessory to come loose. Under ideal circumstances, an accessory should last through several wearings. Once removed, accessories can be reapplied using a body glue, such as eyelash glue.
How do I remove my gem or accessory?
- Your gem or accessory should easily lift away from your skin when it is time to remove your design. If a small amount of residual adhesive remains, apply a thin layer of baby oil or body lotion to the area and let it set for a minute or two. The adhesive should wipe away with a soft cloth and a mild soap.